Sex is the question...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



But is "yes" the right answer?

This joke used to be funny to me when I had this idealistic view that the 90's Aids Awareness boom had caused people to really put safe sex into practice. Now, I'm not so sure.

At work, I happened to be reading this GQ article asking, "Who's practicing safe sex anymore?" and it scared me. The opening shot related a particular grou of professionals who bragged about their unsheathed sexual exploits. One man said something to the effect that the only thing that's really ever asked is, "Are you on the Pill?" and only after penetration has already occurred. Another male said that contracting STDs was no big deal, because most of them could be cured with a shot anyway. What disturbed me is that a couple of these men were in health professions.

But what about the ones that can't be cured with a shot? As a black female, I'm concerned about this seemingly lackadaisical attitude towards unsafe sex, because my demographic happens to be at highest risk for HIV and AIDS in this country. Most people are uninformed to this fact because it doesn't directly affect them, and a lot of people really don't see this as a potential pandemic. But if a doctor is not the least bit concerned about contracting The Clap, who's going to take the initiative to bring awareness to black women, and everyone for that matter, regarding the dangers of unsafe sex?

To add insult to injury, one of my coworkers told me about a news article concerning a dating website for people with STDs called Positive Singles. Now, I'm typically not judgmental as to what circumstances people face, but the website seems a bit tongue-in-cheek--besides its seeming attempt to allow infectees (sorry if that sounds harsh) to have normal, "positive" (a double entendre, perhaps?) dating lives, is it also sending mixed messages that add to the casual stance towards practicing safe sex?

If the men in that article I read, as well as the crop of "positive" dating sites, are any indication towards a shift in concern for our sexual health--and not just in the exercise of healthy sexual desire, but in the risks associated with it--then I fear what this regression is going to teach younger children.

Whatever the answer is, please remember that your Butterfly Position potentially has a Butterfly effect.


0 Responses to “Sex is the question...”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


who we are.

Previous posts

history.

have a look.


ATOM 0.3


Blog Counter

Blog Flux Directory