"I'll look to like, if looking liking move"*


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Ogling and objectification by males is perfectly acceptable--men of any sexual orientation have no qualms about surveying a man or woman from heel to crown and back again (not even plenty of guys in relationships, although certain ones I know are in denial). It's chalked up to the natural sexual inclination of the male species. (And yes, I've read semiotic readings about traditional male-upon-female objectification until I was blue in the face, so no structuralist lectures).

But us women? We get branded as "oversexed," "campy," "hormonal," or "girlish" when we dare to blatantly look at anyone in a strictly sexual fashion, let alone playfully (or drunkenly) catcall people who float our boats or openly discuss our sexual approval of men/women we find attractive (kat von d). Back in the day, unless I was strictly in the company of my female friends, I was reduced to sneaking subtle peeks at guys I found attractive--I was cheated out of drinking in the whole picture because my nana or my mother or my male friends would think of me as one of those four qualifiers.

We're humans who have natural desires, and monogamy dictates (depending on the couple's personal agreement) that we respect whatever physical agreement we make with the other by default (i.e., because of the emotional bond). But that doesn't dictate that our intrinsic physical attraction (doctor mcdreamy). should be squelched and focused on one other person. Sure, during those moments of limerence it seems like we can only make goo-goo eyes at one person (scarlett), but I've respect the fact that a significant other might sneak a peek at someone they find attractive as long as they're not assholes. Furthermore, they will likely get hit on while I'm not around by women they may find attractive; I won't freak out. Jane Doe may love her hubby to death, but it doesn't mean that she won't be fascinated by the blinding aura of David Beckham's thighs.

So I say that if males don't want to listen to the cries of "wrongful objectification," then toss the double standards out the window. Don't brand us as nymphos because we happen to enjoy the aesthetic value (freddie ljungberg) of well-kept men (or women).

With that, I've interspersed some of my favorite guys and gals throughout this blog. And don't be afraid to ogle.


*Ten points if you know without Google.


2 Responses to “"I'll look to like, if looking liking move"*”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    romeo and juliet, of course :)

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    And it is in reference to being hooked up with Paris - and Juliet isn't too keen. She's paying lip-service to her pushy mother... and after having had an earbashing from her nurse too. Poor fourteen year old Juliet...

    No, I didn't need to look it up...alas.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


who we are.

Previous posts

history.

have a look.


ATOM 0.3


Blog Counter

Blog Flux Directory