Oh, you crazy Gandalf.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I and a male companion took in The Da Vinci Code film last week.
Although I won't comment in depth on the film/book (which were both slightly more than mediocre, at best, but nonethless entertaining--the book tenfold more so than the film), I was tickled by the controversial comments by Sir Ian McKellen (who plays Sir Leigh Teabing) surrounding the controversy. Read a couple of his quotes, then imaging the furor of Fundamentalists, who already hate the film, towards the comments of a gay actor who is also a probable agnostic or atheist. It's quite enough to be entertained.

In an interview on the Today show (See the video below):
MATT LAUER: There have been calls from some religious groups, they wanted a disclaimer at the beginning of this movie saying it is fiction because one of the themes in the book really knocks Christianity right on its ear, if Christ survived the crucifixion, he did not die for our sins and therefore was not resurrected. What I'm saying is, people wanted this to say 'fiction, fiction, fiction'. How would you all have felt if there was a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie? Would it have been okay with you?

SIR IAN MCKELLEN: Well, I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction. I mean, walking on water, it takes an act of faith. And I have faith in this movie. Not that it's true, not that it's factual, but that it's a jolly good story. And I think audiences are clever enough and bright enough to separate out fact and fiction, and discuss the thing after they've seen it.



In an interview at the 59th Cannes Film Festival:
MCKELLEN: When I read the book I believed it entirely. When I put the book down I thought what a load of potential codswallop. But I'm very happy to believe that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. I know that the Catholic Church has problems with gay people. I thought that would be absolute proof Jesus was not gay.

Brilliant.


0 Responses to “Oh, you crazy Gandalf.”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


who we are.

Previous posts

history.

have a look.


ATOM 0.3


Blog Counter

Blog Flux Directory